Let’s just say it: nobody wants to stink. Smelly armpits are unpleasant for you and the people around you. Armpit odor can be incredibly embarrassing. Yet human beings are animals, after all, and our bodies move, sweat and, yes, get smelly. So how do we manage our natural bodily functions in order to avoid leaving a stinky trail behind us everywhere we go?
In this article, we’ll explore all things underarm odor. From what it is to how to get rid of armpit odor, we’ll share everything you need to know to stay fresh as a daisy all day. Let’s dive in.
- What is Armpit Odor?
- How to Know You Have Armpit Odor
- How to Get Rid of Armpit Odor
- Permanently Treating Armpit Odor
Did you know Social Citizen's sweat-proof Social Tees help stop armpit odor with built-in underarm pads?
What Is Armpit Odor?
Armpit odor is a totally natural function of the human body. See, our bodies are covered in a layer of bacteria. Don’t worry, it’s not as gross as it sounds. The bacteria is invisible and odorless, and actually plays an important role in our health, protecting us against harmful invaders, among many other functions.
The problem happens when the bacteria meets your sweat. Ultimately, bacteria are living things and they need something to eat. It just so happens that our sweat, the odorless and colorless liquid emitted from our sweat glands to cool our bodies down and regulate our temperature, is the perfect food for them.
But wait, if bacteria is odorless, and sweat is odorless, then what the heck causes body odor? Well, unfortunately, when these two get together, that’s when the stink happens. As the bacteria in your body break down your sweat, it develops an odor. And that’s why our armpits stink.
If you ever find yourself wondering why your armpits smell worse than usual, it can be because of one of two reasons. Either you’re sweatier than usual, giving your skin bacteria more food to turn into an odor, or you’ve got more bacteria than usual, which can be the case if it’s been a while since you’ve had a shower.
How Do I Know If I Stink?
Ah, the age-old question. Sometimes, we don’t notice our own smell, but the others around us sure do. There are a few ways that you should be able to detect your own odor, including:
- Pay attention to the people around you. Do they seem to notice?
- Sniff yourself in your more pungent areas. Think armpit, not forearm.
- Reset your nose by smelling something strong like coffee for a full minute, and then smell yourself.
- Ask a trusted friend to take a whiff and let you know.
Consider wearing a Social Citizen Social Tee, made with a hidden bamboo underarm pad that can absorb sweat and fight odor.
How to Get Rid of Underarm Smell
If you did the above and figured out that you do indeed smell, you’re probably wondering, “How do I get my armpit to stop smelling?” Well, there are a few ways.
- Deodorant, which is made to kill the bacteria in your underarm and mask any existing odor with a more pleasant smell.
- Antibacterial soap, which kills the bacteria on your skin.
- Apple cider vinegar, which can also kill bacteria. But be careful, because some people think that apple cider vinegar smells even worse than body odor.
- Green tea, which might block the pores on your skin.
- Lemon juice, which can kill bacteria.
- Baking soda, which can balance out the acid in your sweat.
- Turmeric, which can kill bacteria.
- Changing your diet, such as decreasing your intake of caffeine, alcohol, onions, and garlic.
- Shaving your underarms, so they do not as easily trap sweat inside of them.
How to Get Rid of Underarm Odor Permanently
Most of the above solutions require you to do something every single day, or even more frequently. But is there any way that you can permanently get rid of your underarm odor?
Well, in order to permanently get rid of your body odor, you’d have to be able to eliminate at least one or both of the two things that create it: sweat and bacteria. Unfortunately, getting rid of your bacteria forever isn’t on the table. There’s no real way to get it to go away permanently, plus you wouldn’t want to, as it plays a role in keeping you healthy. So what about sweat? Actually, there are a few options for eliminating underarm sweat.
- First, you can use Botox injections. That’s right, that chemical that makes people look younger can also be used to block the nerve signals responsible for sweating, preventing you from producing too much sweat.
- Then there’s the MiraDry system, a non-surgical treatment that uses thermal energy to safely eliminate the sweat and odor glands in your underarms.
And finally, there are more invasive, surgical procedures in which doctors go in and actually remove your sweat glands.
Note that none of these procedures are guaranteed to stop 100% of sweating, and they’re a pretty serious option, so it might be better to try the simpler solutions first.
How to Get Rid of Body Odor
It’s worth mentioning that armpit odor isn’t the only type of B.O. that exists. Your whole body can have it anywhere that your sweat interacts with bacteria. Other common stinky areas of the body include:
- The feet
- The mouth
- The scalp
- The groin
But dealing with these odors is pretty similar to dealing with underarm odor. There are lots of natural, home solutions you can try, as well as some more serious medical ones.
But you’ll also do pretty well as long as you maintain good hygiene with a routine of regular showers using antibacterial soap. Deodorant isn’t made for other parts of the body, but antiperspirant can be used almost everywhere. And cologne/perfume can go a long way, too.
How Social Citizen Can Help You
Looking for an easy solution for your body odor? Nothing is simpler than throwing on a t-shirt, right? Social Citizen’s sweat-proof clothing is made with a comfortable underarm pad that stops your sweat from showing and neutralizes your body odor using all-natural antimicrobial bamboo. It comes in lots of different styles and colors so you’ll be sure to find one that fits your fancy - and keeps you fresh all day.